Thursday, November 14, 2013

mix 'em & match 'em: faire isle

You know that print that you TOTALLY know what it's called, it's just you can't think of at the moment?  Yeah, this is one of those kinds of prints.  For the longest time I would refer to the Faire Isle pattern in my head as, "that one that you only see on ski gear with the reindeer." Seems legit, right?  It amazes me when I find out a print or patter has a specific name all the while I have just been giving it longer titles than a Fall Out Boy song.  SO, moral of the story, that cold weather print is called Faire Isle. 

With the Winter season coming at us faster than Fall left us, I wanted to make a more seasonal Print Guide to accompany those new Faire Isle leggings you are going to pass off as pants.... because I know you will.

    
These prints were created in Adobe Illustrator by me, Sarah Katherine Ormsby. 

1. Go ahead and reach within for your inner Norwegian/Canadian/Olympic Skier for this one.  Go ahead and breakout the plaid with this one.  The opposites work for some reason, maybe it's a Christmas/Hanukah/Kwanzaa/Holiday miracle(just be sure to stick with complimentary colors).

2.  The dainty print was a figment of my imagination and is supposed to represent something soft and delicate looking.  The harsh lines of the Faire Isle and Plaid need a little abstract counterpart for balance.  In this case I felt like this print mimics a snowflake.  Creativity gets you everywhere when it comes to mixing and matching prints!

No comments:

Post a Comment